Saturday, 13 April 2013

Book review: Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich

I’ve never read a Stephanie Plum novel before but they’re colourful and popular so I was looking forward to losing my Evanovich virginity. First few chapters; not so impressed. It read like the cheap and predictable detective stories that other books mocked wrapped up in exploding cars and needless dull detail. However, I did end up enjoying the story and the insane mix of gun fights, fried chicken, sex and questionable dialogue. I was properly engrossed by a third of the way through and keen to see how she’d clear up the hat-trick of mysteries in only two chapters.

Would I go back and read the others? Yes, I would. It’s hard to find light but entertaining books to fill in the gaps between my sometimes very heavy reading habits. Is it good detective fiction? It’s great cheap-blockbuster reading. But if I wanted to sit down and enjoy a murder mystery I’d go for a Phryne Fisher novel.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just noticed this review and wondered if you would like to link it in to the current monthly collection of books that people loved on Carole's Chatter. This is the link There are already over 25 books linked in that you might be interested in. It would be great if you came on over. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...