1. Peter Jackson is making The Hobbit
2. He's cast Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins (in my opinion, he's going to be really good in the role)
3. He's cast Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of the dragon (and as the necromancer, but I can't remember who that is in the story)
4. As I've mentioned, these two are John Watson and Sherlock Holmes in the super-awesome BBC series of Sherlock. (Peter Jackson's actually organised filming of the Hobbit so Martin Freeman can still go off and do Sherlock.)
5. He's also cast Stephen Fry in the Hobbit, as the Master of Laketown
6. While this absolutely makes sense because Stephen Fry is pure awesome, it's also interesting because Stephen Fry is going to play Mycroft Holmes in the upcoming movie version, opposite Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock.
Arthur Conan Doyle and JRR Tolkein are inextricably linked, who would have thought?
OR Peter Jackson likes British actors, who often coincidentally happen to be attached to Sherlock projects,
OR I am really, really super excited about seeing the Hobbit! (And way more excited about the Sherlock Holmes movie now that I know Stephen Fry will be in it.)
In semi-related news, they've been filming the new season of Sherlock, and the episodes are called 'A Scandal in Belgravia', 'The Hounds of Baskerville', and 'The Reichenbach Fall'! I don't know about you, but I'm excited!